Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Things We Do To Keep Entertained On The Metro...

I've always been a people watcher but more importantly I have always been a book watcher. That's right. I'm the creepy person who is trying to see what you are reading over your shoulder. My friend, Sterling, calls this phenomenon of mine, bookspotting. It's just something I've always done. Actually, since moving to Baltimore and having to commute via the Marc train and the metro, I've become a more avid bookspotter. On the metro, I put myself in a spot where I can see as many books as possible. I also like to count the number of ereaders I see (11 on my last metro ride). What can I say, I'm easily entertained and it makes my day when I see someone who is reading the same book that I am. I'm not ashamed to admit that more than once I've picked up a book because I saw someone else reading it and the cover looked interesting. Seriously, if you saw this cover, wouldn't you want to pick it up?
Seriously, I saw a guy reading this on the Marc train when I first moved to Baltimore. I thought it looked interesting, so I picked it up from the library. One of my favorite books ever!

or this one?
I saw a girl reading this on the circulator the other day. I haven't finished it but so far so good!
Every time Sterling is in the area, we make bets before going out which book we'll see the most on the metro or in public. He's won the last few times unfortunately. You can always tell what books are the current trendy ones. I saw 21 people reading Catching Fire on the metro last time I was in DC between getting to my destination and getting back to my car.
Just imagine the happiness I felt when Sterling sent me a link for a website that features pictures of people reading books on the New York subway. The site is called the Underground New York Public Library and it is awesome! (Click here for the link!
A photographer going by the name of Ourit takes photos of people reading books while traveling on the New York subway. This project is an absolutely fascinating look at books, the people who read them, and what they say about us and the world at large. It's like a huge Where's Waldo book except you're looking for a specific book or books. What a person is reading is personal and allows us a glimpse into their life and personality. I love seeing the uptight businessmen on the metro reading a book I love! It makes them more accessible and on some level me and them are not all that different. Seriously, I saw a guy on the metro reading the same vampire book I had finished just a few days before. Priceless!
I highly recommend this website whether you want a good chuckle (seriously, a big black guy, or any guy, reading Twilight will always crack me up) or if you want to play your own game of Who's Reading ______ (insert favorite book title here) or if you want to see how many books you know (there is a lot I've never heard of on this site). So here are a few of my favorites:
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone", by J.K. Rowling by She Said Unprintable Things
I love this picture! What is cuter than a mom reading Harry Potter to her kid on the subway? Also, I think the lady on the far right knew she was getting her picture taken...
This guy is my new hero for being able to go down an escalator in NY while reading a book and not getting ran over.

Seeing someone reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy makes me smile especially when I'm currently re-reading the series.

Business Guy reading Lord of the Rings. Priceless!

A guy reading Wicked also makes me laugh though I'm not sure why...
I hope you enjoyed this episode of What A Grad Student Does When They Are Supposed To Be Studying For An Exam.

1 comment: