Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lots Of Love On Valentine's Day

This week started out with a tragedy that is a thing of nightmares for all graduate students. Have you ever wondered what ten pages of homework looks like in the form of confetti? Well, here's your lucky day because it looks like this:
Want a perspective on how large that pile was?
But how could this happen? You live by yourself, don't you? Remember The Horde that I'm always talking about and the fact that I babysit them a lot? This is what happens when you turn your back on the two-year-old and the three-year-old twins decide to help. I'll be honest. I cried when I found this. Hours of work gone in less than five minutes. It's a good thing that their parents picked them up about twenty minutes later.
This little incident added a lot of stress and sleepless nights this week trying to get it redone as well as get the rest of my homework done. By Wednesday night, I was a wreck. I seriously owe several people cookies for getting me through this week particularly Lauren for working on the circuits homework with me, Mark for walking me through some basic algebra I was messing up on from lack of sleep, and Dr. Mignerey for giving me an extension on the nuclear homework so I could refinish it.
Valentine's Day found me in a slightly better mood since everything was turned in and I had a glorious nine hours of sleep the night before. I had some visitors at lunch that made me feel very much loved.
First, Billy stopped by and gave me a Valentine that was partially my gift for Christmas. I have a rule that if a movie or TV show is based on a book, I'll read that book before watching the movie or show. Billy has been wanting me to watch Game of Thrones with him since he received all the seasons for Christmas. So my valentine/gift from him was the first two books in the The Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin. I didn't realize how long these books are! The first book is 835 pages alone! I'm really excited to read these books! I've heard so much about them!
Secondly, I received a visit from a very repentant Horde. They gave me a card with the following message:
I can't seem to stay upset with The Horde for long. Especially when they exploit my biggest weakness. The card came with a beautiful hardcover edition of Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I haven't read it yet but I've heard nothing but awesome things about it. It also doesn't hurt that I want to go see the movie adaption of it that just came out which means that it was up high on my to be read list.
 I went home feeling very loved to find even more love. My parents sent me a valentine's package that consisted of jerky (big surprise there, right?), Reese's hearts, conversation hearts, and a new cheese grater. FYI, I was really excited about the grater!
I also got to Skype with my parents, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew. It was a blast! Best quotes of the night:

Ash: Why did Jessie get jerky and we didn't?
Mom: Because Jessie shouldn't have the candy we sent her. Let alone all the stuff we sent you.

 and

Conrad: Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba- Yessie!!! (I may have introduced Conrad to the Despicable Me minions' parody of the Barbara Ann song on Youtube... Don't hate me, Navar! And for those of you who don't know I'm the Yessie referred to here.)

Who says Valentine's Day is just for couples? I had a perfectly great one with my family and friends! 


No comments:

Post a Comment