Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Secretly I Want To Be Dr. Harker, Book Blogger Extraordinaire

I was recently out with some friends that were in DC for a forensics conference. Have I mentioned I'm going to miss the constant influx of friends who come to DC for conferences when I move? But like all friends who haven't seen each other in three years, we got to reminiscing.

"Hey Jess, do you remember that time you almost broke your ankle mountain biking and it was the size of a grapefruit for a week?"
or
"Jess, do you remember that time I ran into you on the way home and you were awkwardly holding what was left of your shirt together?"

Sometimes reminiscing can be painful and a good reminder of why some of us don't do chemistry involving 70% hydrogen peroxide anymore.
The best part of the evening for me is the time me and this set of friends start to wax philosophical. One of our ponderings revolved around the question: "Where do you think we'd be if we hadn't gone into science?" with the stipulation of engineering not counting as an alternative. We have a ridiculous amount of friends who are engineers.
Tim would have gone into the world of sports reporting and of coaching hockey. You have to love my hockey friends!  We tend to have a one track mind when we get together. Go Avalanche!
Matt apparently has spent an enormous amount of time thinking about being a Civil War historian. I have to admit that he'd make a good one. His kids can tell you the generals and commanders that belong to each battle. They even can tell you the reasons why General Burnsides' defense of the bridge at Antietam was moronic.
Jeanette still dreams of being a wedding planner which is kind of funny considering she and Matt eloped.
Elizabeth would have gone to culinary school and opened her own restaurant. I kind of wish this had happened. Elizabeth is an amazing cook, baker, and candy maker! She was kind enough to bring me some of her famous English toffee. Although I'm ashamed to admit that I ate it all the next day...
What about me? I would be either a librarian or a book blogger.
It's not like that is a huge revelation for those who know me. I love reading books! In fact, I buy books like any respectable book blogger which means I buy a lot of books. I budget money out of each paycheck to buy books which I faithfully spend each month. Have I mentioned I need another bookshelf?
Actually to tell the truth, I have seriously considered becoming a book blogger and I've added it to the 30 things I want to do by the time I'm 30 list.  I even blog on my friend Patrice's blog for her bookstore which she runs in Seattle. Maybe when I move into candidacy I'll finally be able to pursue my book blogging ambition.

1 comment:

  1. At first I thought you were talking about me being an excellent cook, and then I realized I'd never brought you English toffee. I don't even know how to make toffee. haha!

    ReplyDelete