Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

President's Day Shenanigans

The Monday before my thesis defense happened to be President's Day. East Coast schools tend not to give this 'holiday' as a day off like West Coast schools but I happened to have only a meeting with my advisor and a committee member. No classes. My advisor and I were waiting for my committee member to arrive when my advisor informed me that after this meeting I was not to think of my thesis until the night before my defense. All I could think was, "Yeah, right. How am I not going to think about my thesis today not to mention for three days?" Soon after this thought crossed my mind I received a text message from my friend Christian asking if anyone wanted to go on a short road trip to one of the local Civil War battle sites. So in accordance with my advisor's advice, I agreed to go. It was a small group composed of me, Christian, my friend, Anna, and Gao Ju (Anna's dog). Sidenote: Gao Ju translates to Manly/Handsome Chrysanthemum. I thought his name was a little funny.
Our road trip lead us to the Antietam battle site because we had all been to Gettysburg somewhat recently. I hadn't been to Antietam since my high school trip to DC and I hadn't seen much of it since it was pouring rain that day. I also realized that like my love of architecture, my love and knowledge of military history comes out without the slightest provocation. And I know a lot of details about the major Civil War battles so I pretty much was a running commentary the whole time we were at the battlefield. Thanks Coach P!
It was a nice distraction from the stress and worry of my thesis defense. So as can be expected, I took my camera. Here's some pictures!
The Antietam Visitor Center
Antietam
Antietam battlefield. We may or may not have walked through an onion field to get to the Mumma farm house. Lesson from this: the path needs to be marked more clearly.
Dunker church
The Sunken Road aka the Bloody Lane at Antietam
A post-war observation tower that let us see the whole battlefield. Yes, we did indeed climb to the top.
Christian, Anna, and Gao Ju at the top of the tower.
Me, Christian, and Gao Ju at the top of the tower. I think I made a friend either that or we had worn Gao Ju out.
Me, Anna, and Gao Ju.
View of the Sunken Road from the tower.
A view of the battlefield from the tower.
View of one of the local farms that was part of the battlefield from the tower. I believe it was either the Roulette farm or the Piper farm.
Burnside Bridge at Antietam. One of the stupidest attacks the Union ever conducted in my opinion.
 After we finished our tour of the battlefield, we stopped in Mount Airy and took Christian's grandma out for dinner. We went to a place called Carterque. It was amazing! Overall, the day was what I needed to distract me from the pressure of my thesis defense. Thanks Christian and Anna!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment