Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Caught a train to Poughkeepsie and time stood still...

Day  4 was a relaxed day. The only things we had planned were to stop in Poughkeepsie, NY and make it home by 8pm so we could all get homework done. But one of the things that makes a typical road trip awesome is the random stops. While we were driving to Poughkeepsie, we saw these signs to Pick Your Own Apples which started a conversation on how fun it is to go apple picking. So two and two came together, and we went apple picking at the beautiful Wilklow Orchard. I LOVE APPLE PICKING!!! Oh, and I LOVE APPLE CIDER!!! These guys had the best apple cider that I've ever tasted! I was so sad when the gallon I bought was gone.


It was a very cute orchard.
Look at them apples! Sorry, I couldn't help myself...
I just love the clouds in this picture!
Ok, I love the clouds in this picture too. I also love how they set up their orchard.
So pretty!!!
Are you ready for some Apple Picking? Oh, Pick Me! Pick ME!!!
Oh, my little Asians that I kept losing. They kept wandering off to take pictures.
They had never been to a pumpkin patch before.
They were really small pumpkins.
What is a farm without farm animals? Hello, Mr. Goat!
Time to get down to business and pick some apples.
There were like 10 different kinds of apples in this orchard which was so awesome!
The little apple picking stick was a great tool. The trees were too small to climb and we all know the best apples are towards the top of the tree.
Good thing we had a tall person with us to reach the really tall trees.
Funniest quote of the day: "I'm glad that we paid money for the Asians to take pictures and for the Americans to do all the work." Hahaha! Thanks Lindsay! But pretty true, we had no idea where Faith and Nella were half of the time.
The creek used for irrigation divided the orchard evenly in half.
As I said, I'm glad that we had a tall person with us...
I really do love apple picking! And seriously, the apple picker tool is ingenious! But I kinda missed climbing the trees...
Hahaha! I think I was counting apples but I'm not sure. We had a contest to see how many apples we could get at once. I won with the whopping number of 3.
Me and Lindsay setting up the game plan.

Another bonus about apple picking, eating apples while picking apples. I seriously ate five because there were kinds that I had never had before.
This is evidence that the Asians wandered off frequently. Second best quote of the day: "Apple picking and apple cider are two definitely American things... I don't even like apples."- Nella
It warms my heart to see an old International tractor. It reminded me of home except we don't use tractors to haul peoples' apples who don't want to carry them down the hill.
Faith picking apples.
The tractor again...
One of Nella's attempts to win the contest. Pretty good, she got two.
Seriously, all the good apples are at the top of the tree. Look at those suckers!
Mmmmm... I want an apple now.
Lindsay and one of her attempts. Not bad for eating an apple while picking the apple.
Nella picking apples.
Me picking apples.
I think this is when I successfully picked 3 apples at once.
I just really like this picture.
Another picture of the orchard and some very full trees.
This pose Lindsay does seriously makes me laugh every single time.
I'd say that bag is half full.
I feel very short just looking at this picture.
On the way down the hill with our very full bag of apples. And no, I didn't use the tractor to haul our apples.
That is one really small apple. And what is that in the background, an unexpected photo bomber. I believe I truly am the victim here. It's not my fault that Nella takes tons of pictures. I can't be expected to pay attention to where the camera is all of the time.

Our very full bag of apples! It was about to rip, we had filled it so full. But hey, I was getting the most for our money.
I seriously loved that apple picking tool.

But a word to the wise, flip flops + very muddy orchard = the next couple of pictures.
I look like I have animated feet from the mud that was all over my toes.
Hahaha! My feet were so dirty. I love mud!

So after our apple picking adventure we went to Poughkeepsie. And sadly the whole reason that we went there was so I could get a picture with the welcome to Poughkeepsie sign which happens to be bucket list item #38. I just wanted to go there because the name of the town is cool and it is mentioned in several of my favorite songs. My bucket list items have high criteria to make onto the list.

Welcome to Poughkeepsie! I'm going to admit that this was a slightly bigger sign than I was expecting.
Bucket list item #38. Check.
I always love pictures when it looks like you're picking the bridge up.

This just made me laugh so hard. It makes me wonder why someone from New York would have a straw bail on the top of their car in New Jersey.
We found a Sonic! Oh, Sonic how I have missed you! I have missed your happy hour and your cherry limeade with extra cherry!

But after a long road trip, the best feeling is coming home. We were all a little excited to see the signs for Baltimore.

2 comments:

  1. 1) A good friend of mine grew up in Poughkeepsie. Weird, huh?
    2) My parents buy a single straw bale every fall to put on the porch. It's part of the elaborate fall decorations that Cheryl sets up. So that cold explain why straw is going to NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I think there's a sonic in randallstown just past the 695

    ReplyDelete