Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Awesomeness of Fenway Park!!!

The Sunday I was in Boston I was able to meet up with my friends Whitney and Jeff for breakfast at a place called The Friendly Toast up by MIT. On my way to the T, I found a huge church that was pretty cool!
It was good to see Whitney again! I miss being labmates with her. And breakfast was amazing!
Me and Whitney
After hanging out with Whitney and Jeff, I headed to the one place in Boston that I've wanted to visit since I've been 5 years old: Fenway Park. Fenway is on my bucket list (# 11) as well as on my list of the five baseball stadiums that I want to see before I die (the other four are Camden Yards, Wrigley Field, Miller Field, and Yankee Stadium). And just to be clear, I am NOT a Red Sox fan (Go Rockies!), but Fenway is baseball history. The stadium still in use today turns 100 years old this April. It's weird to think that Fenway opened the same week that the Titanic sank.
I had decided before I even flew to Boston that I would go take a tour of the stadium but I never got a chance to look up the details before I flew out. So I walked around the whole stadium looking for where I could get tickets for the tour. I finally found the tour people inside the official Red Sox store across the street. The last tour of the day was at 2pm and I found the tour people at 2:02pm. They were nice enough to let me hurry and join the group that had just gone into the stadium. I may or may not have played the I'm from Idaho card to get in.
Fenway was all I thought it would be and more! It was so awesome to see such an important historical site in baseball! Hopefully one day I can make it back and watch a game there! And I'm not ashamed to admit that the whole reason I remembered my camera for this trip was so I could document my trip to Fenway.
Fenway!!! Oh my goodness, I was so excited!
These banners commemorate every time the Red Sox won the World Series. It was kind of sad that the Curse of the Great Bambino wasn't true but the Manager that traded the Babe and like seven other players was an idiot.

Statue of Ted Williams, Bobby Doer, Dom DiMaggio, and Johnny Pesky. They were Red Sox teammates for 7 seasons but friends for a lifetime. They all served in WWII back in the day. You don't get baseball players like that anymore.
Statue of Ted Williams. He was known as champion for kids. In fact, he helped set up the Jimmy fund at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.
The best picture I could get of the outside of Fenway.
Me outside of Fenway Park!!!


Can you see the barely contained excitement? I'm in freaking Fenway Park!!!
The seats that I am sitting in are the oldest seats in baseball history. They are the original seats that were installed in Fenway when the stadium opened. It is so awesome to think that a dad can take his son to a game and sit in the exact same seats has he and his dad did when he was a kid, and the one's that his dad sat in with his dad. It is so cool!
View of the field from left field atop of the Green Monster.
A view of the field from the grandstand behind home plate.

The Green Monster wall and the one of the last manually operated scoreboards in baseball. Actually it may be the last one in use.
The single red seat marks the farthest home run ever hit in Fenway Park. It was hit by Ted Williams and it went 502 feet. Amazing!!! And for a reference, normal home runs barely hit the second or third row of the seats.
In the Press Box.
The Press Box of Fenway Stadium.
Photographic Proof that I was inside Fenway!

I took the T to Fenway!
Fenway was the best way I could have ended my trip to Boston! I hope I can go back and actually see a game in the stadium! Thank you Boston for being awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment